Located in San Diego, CA
Salary: Up to $160K
For over 40 years, our client employees have enjoyed the opportunity to grow their careers and make an impact as we execute our mission to be the premier communications and signal intercept solutions provider for those who protect freedom around the globe. Every employee has an opportunity not just for a career, but to make a difference for the customers we serve. With some of the brightest and most dedicated talent in the industry, our client achieves its purpose through outstanding service, business agility, technical excellence and personal commitment, while maintaining profitable growth. They center their business on our core values of teamwork, customer satisfaction, integrity, respect, and a positive attitude. Our client specializes in designing, developing, and delivering sophisticated communications and signal intercept systems to a wide array of government and commercial customers. Their work includes: bandwidth-efficient satellite and line-of-sight voice, data and control modems, voice and data radios for delivery to worldwide markets, complete terminals, antenna systems, small, lightweight, lower power, man-portable and multi-platform tactical Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) systems, integration of sophisticated intelligence systems into mobile platforms, and information processing systems and services. They are currently seeking an innovative Principal Software (Project) Engineer to join our unique team of talented individuals as we continue our history of success.
- Will participate in and provide input into the design, re-design and development of technology products and applications.
- Will contribute to and lead the specification and software design phases of the software development life cycle, lead a team of software engineers, manage the design and implementation of new software development and enhancement efforts, and coordinate systems integration and software testing with other technologists.
- Will assist team members with the isolation and resolution of software issues, lead root-cause analyses, communicate options for resolution and provide recommendations to customer-facing software defects.
- Will provide consensus based enterprise solutions that are scalable, adaptable and sustainable with ever changing business needs.
- Will perform complex analysis and design of software components/applications and architecture including estimating, planning, scheduling, and coordination of Agile projects and plan and execute system and product development projects.
- Will organize and monitor technical development activities to meet performance goals, meet schedule and budget goals, author specifications and SOWs, provide supplier technical management support, and function as a Cost Account Manager (CAM).
- Will participate in customer and IRAD proposals, lead technical proposal activities, organize and perform estimation of budget and schedule for engineering tasks.
- Will generate and review BOEs and defend them through proposal sign-off by Senior Management.
- Will organize and lead risk management activities in development and proposal activities, develop documentation and elicit inputs from the technical team, organize documents and presentations in a clear and concise fashion that is easily understood by the project stakeholders, and prepare, participate, and lead technical meetings and project reviews.
- BS (MS preferred) in Engineering and at least 10 years of experience in and a thorough understanding of, software/systems engineering principles and requirements management practices with the ability to apply them in daily work.
- At least 5 years of experience as a project engineer (leader) responsible for technical, schedule and budget performance utilizing requirements driven design management, Microsoft Project scheduling, and financial management involving EVMS and Risk Management techniques.
- A minimum of 10 years of direct development experience in C/C++/C#.
- At least 5 years of direct development experience in the systems/software design and implementation of wireless and/or satellite communications systems.
- Experience with both application layer and embedded systems along with real time operating systems.
- Excellent technical skills demonstrating a thorough understanding of software design, development and test, as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills to communicate information effectively to both internal and external customers, managers and technical staff.
- Organizational skills to work with a variety of people in different disciplines and working from multiple locations on tasks involving vast amounts of rapidly changing information are required.
- Strong interpersonal skills to help negotiate priorities and to resolve conflicts among project stakeholders such as customers, program management, product management, and engineering are a must.
- Ability to quickly grasp the “big picture”, identify critical project/system areas based on key stakeholders needs and plan a project to effectively address those needs using an understanding of business operation and management principles is required.
- Must demonstrate the ability to sustain a great amount of attention to detail to meet both engineering and business needs.
- U.S. Citizens only as applicants selected may be subject to a security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Our client has an ongoing commitment to independent research and development and the creation of new technology. They offer employees a variety of challenging and meaningful projects that directly impact the business, as well as competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package, including, medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k), at least 9 paid holidays each year, 3-4 weeks of paid personal time off, a 9/80 workweek (26 Fridays off a year!), undergraduate and graduate education reimbursement, and support for leadership and technical growth and development.